SUPPORT THE FRESENIUS WORKERS ON STRIKE IN ANTALYA, TURKEY
revolutionaryproletariat at yahoo.fr
Sun Nov 19 16:07:34 CET 2006
Please send your support mails to the address below for Fresenius workers strike in Antalya. SUPPORT THE FRESENIUS WORKERS ON STRIKE IN ANTALYA, TURKEY
The strike started by workers organized under Petrol-Iº on 26 September 2006 at Novamed GmbH in Antalya Free Trade Zone, Turkey, is going on.
This strike has two distinctive features:
· It is the first strike action ever taken in a free zone in Turkey.
· It is a strike action taken against a multinational, Fresenius Medical Care, based in Germany, which is the parent company of Novamed GmbH in Antalya, Turkey.
Who is Fresenius Medical Care? Germany-based Fresenius Medical Care is the worlds largest, integrated provider of producuts and services for individuals with chronic kidney failure. Through its network of approxiamately 2,078 dialysis clinicis in North America, Europe, Latin America and Asia-Pasific, FMC provides dialysis treatment to approximately 161,675 patients around the globe. Fresenius Medical Care is also the worlds largest provider of dialysis products, such as hemodialysis machines, dialysers and related disposable products (for example, bloodlines).
Fresenius Medical Care in Turkey Fresenius Medical Care operates in Turkey since 1996. Turkey is one of a few countries throughout the world where both dialysis care is provided and dialysis producuts are manufactured and marketed.
Since 2000, Novamed GmbH, one of the plants of Fresenius Medical Care in Turkey, located in Antalya, manufactures bloodline systems (approximately 8.000.000 per year), and the sterilization, quality control and test operations of these producuts are done within the same plant. Approximately 300 workers are employed by Novamed.
Fresenius workers in Turkey organize under Petrol-Iº Petrol-Iº launched the organizing work in Novamed on March 2005. When the organizing work was launched, the working conditions at the worksite were as follows:
· During daily working hours single coffee break of 15 minutes and a meal breat of 25 minutes were given to workers. There was no meal delivery at the workplace.
· During working hours at the workplace and even on the service vehicle, talking to each other was forbidden.
· Because the number of service vehicles was very limited, some workers used to commute three or four hours per day by service vehicle.
· During coffee or meal breaks smoking was forbidden. This prohibition was exaggerated so that some managers and department chiefs used to smell workers before entering the worksite.
· Workers were not considered as humans but just a part of production system at the plant. They were permanently insulted by the managers of the company.
· During midweek and working days home visits were forbidden for workers.
· Female workers were required to apply for permission to marry.
· Married women should get pregnant and give birth in accordance with the schedule arranged by the management.
When the organizing work at the workplace was launched by our union, Petrol-Is, this inhuman practice diminished. However, the repression practised by the management went on in disguise.
The management refused to recognize the union at the worksite, launched a systematic anti-union repression designed to urge Petrol-Is members to resign from the union.
Petrol-Is has been able to overcome all these difficulties and anti-union repression, particularly through the solidarity provided by the German chemical workers union, IG BCE.
Petrol-Is at the bargaining table Having the legal authorization to negotiate and conclude a collective agreement at the workplace, Petrol-Is started to bargain collectively with the Novamed management on 19 April 2006. However, it was quite difficult to reach an agreement due to the Fresenius-Novamed managements persistent and obstinate attitude.
At every stage of the bargaining process, the management have persistently maintained the anti-union repression. Furthermore, the management threaten the workers with moving the plant away to another country.
Meanwhile, the management have hired 50-60 new workers in order to break a probable future strike.
As a result of the above-mentioned attitude of Fresenius and Novamed executives, the Novamed workers in Antalya have gone on a strike on 26 September 2006 for a decent work and life.
We ask the Fresenius management some questions · Fresenius Medical Care concludes collective agreements with unions in other countries. Why not in Turkey?
· Are free trade zones in Turkey placas where workers an be employed like slaves?
Novamed workers under Petrol-Is are on stire for a decent work and life
Novamed workers demand their rights.
Support Fresenius/Novamed workers rightful strike!
We call on honest people to send message of support to:
Mr Adil Alaybeyoglu
Petrol-Is Local President
mersin at petrol-is.org.tr
We call on honest people to send protest messages to the following Fresenius executives:
Dr. Emanuele Gatti
FMC Board Member
Emanuele.gatti at fmc-ag.com
Dr. Massimo Fini
Massimo.fini at fmc.ag.com
Mr Antonio Raffa
Logistics and International
Fresenius Medical Care
Antonio.Raffa at fmc.ag.com
Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos questions ! Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the FSE-ESF